• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

L-Tryptophan use. does it really help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerwashere

Bluelighter
I haveanxiety attacks every once in a while. My mom owns an herbal vitamin store so she is kind of like an expert. she gave it to me for my mood. does this stuff really work? ive been trying it and i feel mild things but nothing too much. any advice?

Taking less than 200-500 mg per day isn't gonna be effective!
Also must be enteric coatedtabs to greatly assist l-tryptophan to absorb!
Vitamin B-6 is necessary for Tryptophan metabolism and conversion to serotonin.
Any Vitamin B, does not work on its own, so B group must be added.
It iteracts with other medication!

YOU MUST CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR FIRST-:

Large doses are not recommended!

CONVERSION TO SEROTONIN::

Vitamin B-6 is necessary for Tryptophan metabolism and conversion to serotonin. CNI’s 3-Phos-B contains the active form of B-6— known as Pyridoxal-5’-Phosphate—and helps ensure proper conversion to serotonin. Balancing serotonin levels often proves very helpful for those with sleep disturbances, moderate anxiety, or carbohydrate cravings related to serotonin deficiencies. Tryptophan also helps to correct neurotransmitter imbalances in persons whose serotonin levels are low as a result of chemical addiction. L-Tryptophan is the precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin. Serotonin levels in the brain influence sleep cycles, appetite, and mood. When serotonin levels are deficient, a person may experience symptoms of insomnia, depression, or food cravings.

What other drugs will affect L-tryptophan?

L-tryptophan may interact with other medicines. Before taking L-tryptophan, tell your doctor or care practitioner if you are also using:

medicine for depression such as St. John's wort, citalopram (Celexa), escitalopram (Lexapro), fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), amitriptyline (Elavil), imipramine (Tofranil), venlafaxine (Effexor), and others;
a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as tranylcypromine (Nardil), phenelzine (Parnate), selegiline (Eldepryl), or isocarboxazid (Marplan);
a sedative or tranquilizer such as diazepam (Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), clonazepam (Klonipin) and others;
a phenothiazine drug such as chlorpromazine, (Thorazine), prochlorperazine (Compazine) and others; or
drugs that make you sleepy (such as alcohol, cold medicine, pain medication, muscle relaxants, and medicine for depression or anxiety).

This list is not complete and there may be other drugs that can interact with L-tryptophan.

Tell your doctor or care practitioner about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors.

Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor or care practitioner.

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/l-tryptophan.html
http://mental-health.emedtv.com/l-tryptophan/l-tryptophan-dosage.html
http://www.cnistore.com/l_tryptophan.asp

[[ One way to get the effects of tryptophan is indeed through foods heavy in protein such as meat, but also dairy products, eggs, soy products, and nuts. However, the tryptophan in a lot of these foods competes with other amino acids to get into the brain and do its work. So you might actually feel more of tryptophan's effect after eating a meal heavy in carbohydrates. That's because many carbs cause the body to secrete large amounts of insulin, which clears the bloodstream of most of these other amino acids that compete with tryptophan.
Hence, there's more room for tryptophan in the brain and it ends up having a stronger effect.]]

Status
Not open for further replies.